In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, we have provided the following links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care. We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
- Adopting a new pet? Tips from The Humane Society of the United States on adopting a new pet from a animal shelter or rescue group
- Portsmouth Humane Society Looking for a new family member? Or, are you interested in helping the animals of our community? Support our local animal shelter!
- Your new puppy Great tips for bringing home a new puppy
- Your new kitten Great tips for bringing home a new kitten
- American Heartworm Society Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- Behavior problems Founded by Brian Kilcommons and Sharon Wilson, best-selling authors and recognized experts on animal training and behavior, this site is a terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems. If you want to learn more about feline housesoiling, barking dogs, aggression, or any other behavioral problem, check this one out!
- National Animal Poison Control Center This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Diseases, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- Rainbow Bridge Anyone who has ever lost a pet should visit this wonderful site. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members
- West Nile Virus This site is maintained by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, and has the latest information on the spread of West Nile Virus in the US, as well as information on disease transmission, symptoms, etc.